Have a question about March for Water that isn't answered here? Our Events team will be happy to help.
March for Water is a global movement walking in solidarity with the world’s poorest communities. 1 in 10 people have no choice but to walk long distances to fetch and drink dirty water – their days can't possibly begin until they've done this walk.
This March, we walk as a global community.
It’s simple – pledge how far you’ll walk on top of your normal routine, get sponsorship for your challenge and help bring clean water close to home for everyone, everywhere.
Simply click on the “Sign Up” Button to connect with JustGiving and create your own bespoke March for Water fundraising page.
This is where you can keep a track of your activity tracking and fundraising, all in one place. You can set up a profile page – adding an image and personal story – and start earning virtual badges and climbing up our distance and fundraising leader boards.
You can also share your profile page with friends and family, so they can see the amazing challenge you're undertaking – as well as the progress you’re making - and show their support by making a donation.
You can reach your pledged distance in as many or as few days as you like. Do a few kilometres each day during the week, or go for some long walks on the weekends. Totally up to you.
Yes! You can create a team right from your own fundraising page, just below your profile picture. You’ll then be able to send this new team page to your team mates who can join the team from there.
Your team page will let you see how much each team member has raised and how far each of you has walked for your challenge. Challenge your team mates to go that little bit further and see who will march the furthest!
Absolutely, we'd love for you to take part too. Just pledge to get out and about as far as you think is possible and realistic for your level of fitness.
If you'd like to get involved with some longer walks, there are lots of websites that list accessible walking routes set in stunning scenery:
March for Water is open to anybody of any age. The only thing we ask you to consider is your level of fitness - whilst it's nice to challenge yourself, make sure you pledge a distance that's realistic too.
If you're below the age of 18 please ensure a parent or legal guardian above 18 years old signs up on your behalf.
As a global movement, we very much welcome participants from other countries.
You can set up your page and raise sponsorship in British Pound Sterling, Euros, US dollars, Canadian dollars and Australian dollars. JustGiving automatically convert this to British Pound Sterling on our behalf and your fundraising page will show this too.
Absolutely! It’s free to take part in March for Water, although we do ask everyone who signs up to set a realistic fundraising target for their challenge. Every little helps, and will bring us one step closer to making sure everyone, everywhere has clean water.
We recommend £100 as a great starting point. We have tons of resources, tips and support to help you with your fundraising, so you'll hit your target in no time.
March for Water is raising money to support projects in the world’s poorest communities to help bring clean water to everyone, everywhere.
Any donations that come through your March for Water page will automatically come through to WaterAid – that leaves you more time to focus on getting out there and reaching your distance goal!
The easiest way to pay in donations is through your JustGiving fundraising page, however, you can send donations in the post if you wish.
Please send a cheque made payable to WaterAid, along with a sponsorship form, to:
March for Water
47-49 Durham Street
You can also call us on 020 7793 4594 and we'll take your payment over the phone.
You can set up your page and fundraise in British Pound Sterling, Euros, US dollars, Canadian dollars and Australian dollars. JustGiving automatically convert this to British Pound Sterling on our behalf and your fundraising page will show this too.
The money you raise through March for Water will help bring clean water to thousands of people across the world. Even the smallest amount can make a huge difference to someone's life:
- £60 could provide four people with clean water, helping them to stay healthy, and in school or work.
- £100 could pay for a toolkit to maintain a village water point in Niger, so that a community can keep the water flowing for years to come.
- £256 could build a rainwater harvesting facility in a school in India, providing students with clean - helping them to stay hydrated and focused in class.
JustGiving is the world's most trusted platform for online giving.
When you register for March for Water, you will be creating a JustGiving account which powers your March for Water profile page. This profile page enables you to collect donations and track you fitness activity during March.
Giving.com trading as JustGiving is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) under the Payment Service Regulations 2017.
Registration number: 793668
Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows donors who are UK taxpayers to increase their donation by an extra 25% without any extra cost to themselves.
Donors can add on Gift Aid by selecting the option as part of their donation process.
There are multiple ways to add your distance to your March for Water fundraising page during the event month, either by connecting your page to Strava or by entering distances manually. By adding your distance to your page, you’ll unlock special badges, increase your distance total and show all your donors how hard you're working to support WaterAid!
Strava is a fitness tracking app which can track and record your activity. If you choose to use Strava, the activity you record will be automatically uploaded onto your fundraising page if you it with your March for Water fundraising page, powered by JustGiving.
To connect to Strava, log into your March for Water fundraising page.
- Find the ‘Connect to Strava’ section on your March for Water fundraising page or click the ‘Edit page’ button -> ‘Edit fitness’ -> ‘Connect to Strava’. Please note: if you cannot see this, you are not logged in.
- Login using your Strava details
- Press ‘Authorise’
- Now your account is connected
- Go to your Strava app and make sure your activity settings are set to public so that they can be shared with your March for Water fundraising page
- The future activity your log through Strava will now appear in the Activity section of your page
To log your distance manually, log into your March for Water fundraising page.
- Find the ‘Log your walk’ update box on your March for Water fundraising page. Please note: if you cannot see this, you are not logged in.
- Enter the distance you have covered, the unit and the date
- Press ‘Log walk’
- Scroll down to the Activity section to see your new distance post – this may take a few minutes to appear
Just remember – don’t manually log any kilometres that you’ve used a ﬁtness app to track – we will already have those logged.
One of the best things about Strava is that it can connect to many other apps and devices to pull through your distance onto your March for Water fundraising page! Firstly, choose your fitness app or device from the options below and connect it to Strava. Then follow the instructions above to log your distance using Strava.
Alternatively, you can use your apps or device to record your activities and then use the manual distance tracker to add your metres, kilometres or miles to your page.
Each member of the team will have their own distance goal to reach. Once your team is set up, any distances you log as an individual will appear on your team’s page automatically.
You can log your distance in miles and we will automatically convert that into kilometres for you. This allows everyone to compete in the leader boards for distance, without having to do any maths!
You cannot edit or delete a distance activity that is pulled through to your page from Strava, however you can delete a distance activity added through a manual distance tracker and repost the activity with the correct information.
If you have logged distances and they aren’t showing on your fundraising page, here’s a few things to check:
- It’s still loading – wait a few minutes after logging your distance and refresh your page.
- The dates – only distances logged during the event month (March 1 – March 31) will show on your page and contribute to your distance total. Badges related to distance will also not be rewarded until the event begins.
- (Strava) Activity settings – your distance will only show on your fundraising page if your Strava settings are set to public. When your settings have been amended, only future activities will be added to your page.
- (Strava) Connection issues – try disconnecting your Strava account from your March for Water fundraising page and reconnecting it. Only future activities will be added to your page.